M loves black bean quinoa burgers. He will usually try them at the different restaurants we go to so he can compare. It was only a matter of time before we made them at home. I was all prepared for an involved and longer prep. I am happy to report, I was wrong! These were so quick and easy to make – it’s a great week night meal! The longest part of this recipe was cooking the quinoa. And, if you’ve cooked quinoa, you know it doesn’t take very long. We’re definitely going to be trying different variations to this recipe – different spices, veggies, and/or hot sauce! So many possibilities! YUM! It’s a great alternative to those burgers we used to make on the grill! You might want to try some paprika for a bit of smokey flavor! Have fun and enjoy!
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (no salt or reduced sodium beans)
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.
- Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.
- Form the black bean mixture into 5 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.