I wish I had a better title to describe this – there was so much flavor packed into this casserole and “Veggie casserole” doesn’t seem to do it justice!! I’m always a sucker for cream of mushroom soup. The sautéed veggies had a nice kick from red pepper flakes, the cream of mushroom soup added that desired creaminess and the crispy french onions gave it a great crunch! I don’t have an original recipe for this, I just made it up. It was based off of a casserole dish my mom used to make for my sister and I when we were growing up. That casserole had stuffing, chicken, spinach and cream of mushroom. Well, since we don’t cook chicken anymore, I had to change it up! Also, this was the dish we decided to cook “for the week.” We usually try to cook a big meal on Sunday so we can eat leftovers for dinner for most of the following week, freeing up some time on week nights for relaxing instead of cooking. Casseroles are usually great Sunday meals and extra yummy as leftovers! Anywho, this casserole was delicious. I really hope you enjoy this as much as we did! And, there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to add the chicken back in! Just dice up some cooked chicken breast and add it somewhere under the cream of mushroom.
On another note though, this also is a great make-ahead meal because the real reason you put it in the oven is to heat it all the way through. So, when I made this, I prepared it in the morning and just threw it in the oven for 30 minutes before it was time for dinner! 😉 And, I can happily report that all the veggies I used for this dish were from the farmers’ market! So, keep in mind – you don’t have to go out and buy these specific veggies, you can use what is offered that week at your local farmers’ market or your favorite veggies at the grocery store.
What you need:
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 cup broccoli florets, cleaned
1 medium zucchini, quartered
1 medium yellow squash, quartered
1 cup green beans
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 tsps minced garlic
2 tbsps butter
PDS, to taste
1 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tbsps flour
2 10.75-oz cans 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
1 French’s french fried onions (maybe you should get an extra one …for the leftovers!*)
What to do:
- Melt butter in large pan; add garlic once butter is completely melted, cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Add red pepper flakes, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, green beans and bell pepper; cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the veggies and cook until the broccoli and green beans are crisp tender, 5-7 minutes more. Season with PDS, to taste.
- Mix the heavy cream with the flour in a small bowl, make sure to mix out all the little clumps. Add the cream mixture to the veggies while stirring. Cook for 2-3 minutes longer, sauce will thicken.
- Transfer veggies to 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Top with cream of mushroom soup, smooth with a spatula. At this point you can cover the dish and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- When ready, bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and top with fried onions. Enjoy!
*Note: we used an entire container of fried onions just to top the casserole but discovered we enjoyed fresh, crispy onions with each meal; therefore, we just had to get another container!