I wanted to bake something but I was feeling a bit lazy. Hello, strawberry cake mix! While I do love baking from scratch the majority of the time, I also just love baking. Besides, I wanted to add my own twist to this mix! And, baking is also a stress-reliever for me. So, when I’ve had a rough day, baking can usually fix things. This cake mix was perfect!
All mixes call for the usual eggs, oil and water. Well, instead of water, I added orange juice. I also added some orange zest to give it more brightness and orange-flavor. And the frosting? Originally, I wanted to make an orange cream frosting. Well, Sol hinted that strawberry cream cheese frosting would probably be best. Sigh, strawberry cream cheese frosting it was.
Strawberry-orange cupcakes with strawberry cream cheese frosting
Makes 24 cupcakes
1 box Pilsbury strawberry cake mix
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup oil
zest from 1 orange
1 8oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
5 frozen strawberries, defrosted
powdered sugar (around 4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line pan with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix as directed by the box, but substitute orange juice for the water. Add orange zest.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting; frost when cupcakes are cool.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream butter and cream cheese.
- While the butter and cream cheese are mixing, purée defrosted strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- Add puréed strawberries to cream cheese mixture, add only enough to give it that strawberry flavor. You can always add more later if you can’t taste enough of the strawberry!
- Add powdered sugar to mixture. Add until you have the consistency of frosting you desire – around 4 cups.
- Taste. Tastes good? Then frost!
These were a pretty quick and easy treat! I hope you enjoy! I might try lemon zest instead of orange next time. 😉