Say it with me – Chocolate chip salted caramel cookie bars. See, isn’t that a mouthful to say? This recipe for heavenly goodness isn’t just a wonderfully tasty snack, it’s a mouthful of words as well. At least, I always have a hard time saying it. My sister found this one on Pinterest, I think. She decided on this on for our baking adventure while she was visiting. This baby was so delicious, I made it again because everyone requested it. Sol said this treat went faster than all the rest ever did with his work crew. And, my coworkers love it as well.
So, shall I rave about it a little more? It goes GREAT with coffee. It’s got that perfect balance of salty and sweet. It’s great to get your day off to a good start, it really helps after after a challenging day…actually, it’s great on ANY day and at any time.
You can find the original at www.twopeasandtheirpod.com – you should browse their blog as well, it’s awesome (I can’t wait to try more of their recipes!). I made some changes when I made it just because I like baking in the standard 9″x13” cake pan and the recipe originally used a 11”x7” pyrex dish. So, I just took the ingredients used for the cookie part and added an extra half of it….Yes, complicated. I’ll just alter it below. Enjoy! And beware, everyone who eats this will love you.
Chocolate chip caramel salted cookie bars
3 1/16 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
18 tablespoons butter (two sticks), melted and cooled to room temperature
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
10 ounces caramel candy squares, unwrapped
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Sea salt, for sprinkling over caramel and bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking pan (which is an 11 X 7 pan-I used a glass Pyrex dish) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the melted butter and sugars together until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the caramels and heavy cream. Microwave caramels on High until caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds. This will take about 2 minutes, depending on your microwave.
- Divide the cookie dough in thirds. Press one third of the cookie dough into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula. Pour hot caramel over the cookie dough. Sprinkle caramel with sea salt. Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough over the caramel and spread dough with a spatula until the caramel is covered. Sprinkle the bars with additional sea salt.
- Bake cookie bars for 30 minutes or until the top of the bars are light golden brown and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Cool bars on a wire rack to room temperature. Cut bars into squares and serve.